Hanukkah Activities and Recipes
- Make your own Hanukkiah.
- Make your own dreidel.
- Make potato latkes.
- Have a Hanukkah party at home. Plan the party, decorate, cook latkes, make applesauce, play dreidl games, sing Hanukkah songs, light the Hanukkiah.
- Write cards and give presents to children in a local hospital.
Sun Glow Dreidel:
1 sheet black construction paper 8”x10”, colored tissue paper town into pieces, 1 sheet clear contact paper 8”x10”, scissors, tape
- Cut out a large dreidel silhouette from the black construction paper
- Fold this in half and cut out the middle of the dreidel leaving about a 1” rim
- Place the dreidel cutout on top of the clear contact paper, sticky side up
- Cut out the contact paper to the same size as your dreidel
- Place the tissue pieces in the middle of the dreidel
- Place in front of window and see the dancing colors
Flower Pot Menorah:
10 clay flower pots 1 1/2” or 2 1/2”, glue gun, wood 16”x3 ½” for 1 ½” pots or 23”x3 ½” for 2 ½” pots, acrylic paints, paint brushes, 9 metal lock nuts 3/8”
- Paint the wood any color or pattern you like. Set this aside to dry.
- Turn the 10 flower pots upside down. 8 flower pots are going to be the candles and the last two pots will be the shamash. Decorate the flower pots with the paints. Make sure the pots are completely dry before you move on to the next steps.
- With an adult’s help, use the glue gun to glue the 2 pots for the shamash together, stacking them one inside the other
- Glue the eight pots near each other, onto the wood you have decorated. Glue the shamash either in the middle or on one end of the wood
- Glue a metal nut onto each candleholder, including the Shamash
- One pound Ore-Ida Hash Brown Potatoes – thawed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbl. Flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil
Time to cook!
Mix first 5 ingredients together, form latkes by hand and fry in oil.
Doughnuts – Sufganiot:
- One package of Pepperidge Farm Pastry Sheets
- vegetable oil
- raspberry jelly or jam
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Separate dough and, using a glass, two circles
Place jam or jelly in center of circle and pinch edges together with a fork
Put cinnamon and sugar in a paper bag
Heat oil to 350 degrees – about 2 inches deep in frying pan
Place doughnuts in oil and brown on both sides
Put the doughnuts into the paper bag and shake